DCHHS Confirms Mosquito Samples Test Positive for West Nile Virus
- Written by City of DeSoto City of DeSoto
- Published: 06 October 2021 06 October 2021
DeSoto, TX - Dallas County HHS Confirms DeSoto Mosquito Samples Test Positive for West Nile Virus: Ground Spraying Set for parts of DeSoto Late Night Oct 6th & 7th, Weather Permitting
The Dallas County Health and Human Services (DCHHS) laboratory has confirmed mosquito samples have tested positive for West Nile Virus. The samples were collected from mosquito traps from the DeSoto 75115 zip code. In conjunction with the Dallas County municipalities, mosquito abatement teams are responding by treating impacted areas. DCHHS has scheduled ground spraying in DeSoto on Wednesday, October 6th from 9 pm to 5 am and on Thursday, October 7th from 9 pm to 5 am, weather permitting.
A map is attached and the spray areas are posted: http://www.dallas.leateamapps.com/PublicMap/
Residents should remain inside during the time sprayers are in the area. Spraying will not be conducted in the event of wind speeds more than 10 mph or during inclement weather. A detailed map of the spray area can be viewed below.
- • DEET All day, every day: Whenever outside, use insect repellents that have the active ingredient DEET or other EPA-registered repellents and always follow label instructions. • Dress: Wear long, loose, and light-colored clothing outside.
- • Drain: Drain or treat all standing water in and around your home or workplace where mosquitoes could lay eggs.
- • All Day long: Day, Dusk and Dawn -Limit your time outdoors mosquitos are active anytime day or night.
Dallas County Health and Human Services encourage residents in affected areas to be a part of the solution by eliminating insect breeding areas and larvae before they develop into adult, flying mosquitoes. Standing water can be treated with EPA-approved larvicides (aka Mosquito Dunks) that are available from the Action Center in City Hall at no charge.
Please note that spraying is handled by Dallas County and NOT the City of DeSoto. If you need additional information or have concerns or complaints you should direct them to Dallas County Health and Human Services - 2377 N. Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, TX 75207 Telephone: 214-819-2000.