Other Local Communities
Glenn Heights is seeking applicants for a Communications Officer.
- Created: 02 December 2017 02 December 2017
Glenn Heights, TX - The City of Glenn Heights is seeking applicants for a Communications Officer. Perfectly positioned along IH-35 East, Glenn Heights is a hospitable, business friendly, rapidly growing community
divided between Dallas and Ellis counties. The City has a total area of 7.2 sq. miles (18.8 km sq.) with more than 50% of the city's developable land is located along major arterial intersections that are available for retail and office development.
The Communications Officer is responsible for answering all in-coming emergency 9-1-1 calls and assisting police, firefighters, paramedics and animal control officers in their daily tasks. Also responsible for answering incoming administrative lines.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions may include the following. Must possess required knowledge skills, abilities and experience and to be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations that the essential functions of the job can be performed. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Answers multi-line telephone system, prioritizes and reports all incoming 911, emergency and non-emergency calls. Responds after City business hours to calls for Public Works.
- Dispatches animal services officers, police officers, firefighters, and ambulance services to calls for service.
- Evaluates information to determine jurisdiction, equipment, and personnel to be dispatched.
- Documents all activity, location and status in the computer aided dispatch system for all emergency personnel.
- Confirms warrants for internal and external agencies. Issues solicitor, alarm and animal registration permits; collects fees for bond and permits.
- Ensures dispatch of officer requests for back-up or traffic-related assistance, etc.
- Provides pre-arrival instructions for emergency medical calls and relays vital information to hospital emergency rooms when necessary.
- Maintains the accurate status of each officer on patrol, firefighters, EMS and animal services personnel, including times in and out of service and locations.
- Inputs and monitors teletype information from burglary reports, protective orders, and missing person reports from applicable regional, state, and national databases, monitors outstanding warrants and relays information to appropriate officer.
- Obtains a variety of information for officers and/or applicable external police agencies, which may include: driver's license information, criminal histories, property information, and/or other related information.
- Prepares offense/incident reports and maintain various files.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficient skills to read and interpret maps, charts and graphic material in print and/or computer format
- Proficient ability to perform under stress in emergency and critical situations, work without direct supervision and change from one task to another without loss of efficiency and composure
- Proficient knowledge of major streets, public buildings, plants and the general geographic layout of the City of Glenn Heights
- Proficient abilities in problem solving, conflict management and customer relations techniques
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Ability to develop and maintain a positive working relationship with staff, fellow employees, elected officials, supervisors, citizens, business and community groups
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with sensitive information and to comply with all record retention laws
- Proficient skills to communicate clearly and concisely in English, both orally and in writing
- Comprehensive understanding of all City safety rules and operating procedures
- Ability to maintain proficiency and knowledge of current and/or new regulations/legislation within areas of responsibility
Education & Experience
- High school diploma or GED equivalent, and
- One (1) year's experience dealing with the public, and One (1) year's prior experience as a public safety dispatcher preferred, or
- Any equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the position.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Must have a valid Class "C" Driver's License prior to employment (must obtain Texas Class "C" driver's license within 30 days of hire per state law)
- Must have no felony convictions
- Must have no convictions of Class A or Class B misdemeanors within the last five years
- Must not be on probation for any criminal offense above the grade of a Class C misdemeanor
- Must not have convictions for any family violence offense
- Must not have convictions for DWI in the past ten (10) years
- Cannot be on suspension for a breath test refusal
- Must not have not been prohibited by state or federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition
- Must not have not been prohibited by state or federal law from operating a motor vehicle within the past twenty four (24) months
- Must not be currently under indictment for any criminal offense
- Must not have convictions for crimes involving moral turpitude
Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred.
Must be available to work any shift including nights, weekends and/or holidays as assigned.
Salary: $30,368.00 - $34,216.00 Annually
Location: Glenn Heights, TX
Job Type :Full Time
Department: Emergency Management/Communications
Job Number: 20170707-02
Source: Government Jobs