No injuries reported after two swift-water rescues in northern Ellis County

Written by David Dunn David Dunn
Created: 27 December 2018 27 December 2018

Ellis County, TX - Red Oak, Waxahachie and Ovilla Fire Departments responded to two swift-water rescue calls Wednesday night.

Thankfully, no injuries were reported in either instance that was spurred by a severe thunderstorm that the National Weather Service in Fort Worth reports dropped upward of 5 inches on Ellis County.

At around 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Waxahachie Fire responded to a call at Northbound Interstate 35 and Sterrett Road. Waxahachie Fire Chief Ricky Boyd said the victim was driving through high water when the accident occurred.

“It was high enough to lift his car and sweep him away,” Boyd said. “He got stuck in some trees probably 200 yards off of the highway to the eastside.”

When the victim got swept away, a worker at the old Rock-Tenn plant spotted him and called the fire department. Waxahachie Fire and Rescue called Red Oak Fires’s swift water team to assist with the rescue. Three Red Oak firefighters and one Waxahachie firefighter entered the water, while the rest of the responders rigged lines on two ladder trucks to get the victim out.

Boyd said the rescue went smoothly without any issues.

Red Oak and Ovilla firefighters were also dispatched to the intersection of Pierce and Pratt Road for another water rescue at around 9 p.m.

Ovilla firefighters were dispatched to assist with the rescue since Red Oak firefighters were already helping with the Interstate 35 water rescue.

Ovilla firefighter Clayton Green said a woman went through high water and ended up in a ditch. He noted the woman was able to get herself to safety before responders arrived at the scene.

“Her car was halfway submerged,” Green recalled.

Additionally, Waxahachie Fire and Rescue responded to a structure fire in the 100 block of Manor Lane. Boyd stated the initial belief is that lightning struck the home. However, the cause is still under investigation by the fire marshal’s office. WFD responded at around 9:30 p.m. and kept the fire contained to the attic. No other injuries were reported.

Source: Waxahachie Daily Light